dimanche 29 avril 2012

I LIED!

I promised levity (see last post).  Can't do it yet.  I just can't "shake" that "shock art" cake Happening in Sweden!
Swedish Artist Kakode Linde

Sometimes the public can become so bogged down with concepts of racism that it can miss the entire point in creating controversy.

There is an old proverb that goes: When the axe came into the Forest, the trees said "The handle is one of us"

My question is: What would the public response have been if the cake was cut, more appropriately, by an African woman as opposed to the Swedish female participant in the event?
 Swedish Minister of Culture Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth, cutting "the Clitoerectomy Cake"

I ask you, as a former art gallery owner and artist, myself ...what on earth does African Female genital mulitation have to do with Scandinavia?


Have a great day!

2 commentaires:

  1. That's a pretty shocking story, but I'm confused about one issue where you asked what on earth does African Female genital mutilation have to do with Scandinavia?

    I should think it's perfectly appropriate for people everywhere to speak up about evil anywhere, regardless of whether or not they're being directly affected by it. FGM is a horrible crime and I would hate for people in, say, the US to say nothing because it's "not there problem."

    RépondreSupprimer
    Réponses
    1. The first time I heard about female genital mutilation was from AMERICAN author Alice Walker. She made it public in her book "Possessing the Secret of Joy". My point is that I feel that the message got lost in the event. The message being, I believe, is the "axe handle and the trees" Sweden doesn't have to pick up the knife as well.

      Supprimer